Friday, June 10, 2005

Shooting Through A Scene

OK. You probably wouldn’t figure me for a flower photography kind of guy. But I’m photographing what is at hand and presented to me as I look around. I’m looking for graphics, lines, colors…

Sometimes it works but most times it doesn’t. I like the flower image mostly due to the colors that are in the image. It certainly doesn’t fit the normal flower image that seems so prevalent on the web. Trust me, I have plenty of those in this short session with the flowers Jordan and I had gotten for Diane.

When I saw the image I liked the blue color behind the flower and went from there. I was trying to do something Steve McCurry said in a presentation I saw last November and that was to shoot through the scene. There were a lot of boring images from this session and not many keepers. This was one of my favorites.

The image of the ivy is from our backyard fence. I see this ivy everyday and I like the way light falls on it and the patterns that I can find. Vincent Versace says that patterns are interesting but an interrupted pattern is more interesting. I’m not sure this image fits that comment but I tried to emulate the thought as I was shooting the ivy.

The quotes from these two photographers are here because I’m trying to apply things I’ve learned to my shooting no matter the subject matter. These are image makers that I admire and their images provide some small inspiration to me. Not so much for their content, although I do like that. It’s more for their passion, their ability to convey a thought and the ability to translate a sense of wonder to the viewer.

I’ve been preaching to Jordan about giving 110% no matter what she does. I’m trying to do that myself when I shoot, even though the subject matter may not be the most personally compelling or preferred subjects for image making. It has made a difference in my image making and I certainly shoot through a subject more now. I still have a way to go. So, while I’m not a flower kind of guy, I am a photographer and I enjoy finding shapes, arranging lines and figures to make a compelling image. At least that's the goal when I break out the camera.

No comments: