Tuesday, July 19, 2005

San Francisco

I was going to write about our trip to San Francisco the usual way, sort of a travelogue that outlined our comings and goings over the three days we spent in the city. But the more I wrote, the more bored I became and I wondered if anyone really cared about the details. So I decided to write a little differently, a little more personal, a little more passionately.

I love going to places with Jordan and Diane for the first time. We get to experience things together first hand and I get to see their faces and enthusiasm as they see something new. In this day and age, it seems that it’s really difficult to accomplish this, but in some respects, it really isn’t that hard once you think about it. Jordan continually asks questions to which I sometimes have the answers, but more often than not, I have to really think about the question and see how it applies to my previous experiences.

The first thing that comes to mind is that I used to have the same questions as a kid but never asked them out loud. It’s one of life’s pleasures to be asked the questions. I really should be extremely grateful for the gift she gives me. The next thing that comes to mind is the level of imagination this child has. She has a furtive mind and is endlessly curious even though she’s shy and sometimes a little apprehensive in engaging the world.

Diane and I enjoy the time away because we can just BE. I’m not sure it’s as much of a joy for her but it certainly is for me. I like the unknown, the ability to wonder around with no real time table or schedule. Diane and Jordan really like to know what’s next but they seem to let go and trust that I’ll take care of it, and them. That’s immensely rewarding and I should be grateful for that gift.

So we traveled to San Francisco. We did the touristy things and we enjoyed it. But I came away with a lesson in what I should be grateful for and how the two most important women in my life give me gifts everyday. It was a really enjoyable and rewarding trip. I was fulfilled that weekend. I was comfortable.

No comments: