Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Lighting Test


The nature of the web, and by default, blogs as well, is that information exists in droves. Finding information that is relevant to what you need and then, finding informative material can be daunting. I don’t know that I put much useful stuff on this site for many people and I won’t claim to be an expert on anything. But there is a site that has a lot of relevant information on photography and specifically lighting.

This image is a tribute to Strobist and the information he provides on his site. He does a great job at explaining his use of strobes, providing tips on manufacturing your own equipment, and how to set up a shot. He’s a pro working for the Baltimore Sun and is very generous with his knowledge. He’s one of the good guys, and judging from the number of people that visit his site daily, I’m not the only one that thinks so. There is a lot information there and it can be really useful if you are having difficulty with your lighting and specifically with your strobes. Check it out.

This image is from several years ago, long before I had digital. It’s of my nephew Jake and he graciously helped me test out some lighting techniques I wanted to learn. I shot this with a Mamiya RZ67 and an Acute pack. I metered off the sky to give me that exposure and underexposed it by a stop and a half. I set the flash pack to give me an aperture of f8 and ran with it. It was a lot of fun and I have to thank Doug Merriam for teaching me this technique. He teaches a couple times a year at the Santa Fe Workshops and he’s well worth the price of admission.

So, if you have the ability to teach and you have the knowledge, do the world a favor and pass it on. A lot of people will benefit.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I'm afraid I'm completely ignorant when it comes to lighting. I leave it to god and always have, and I've rarely found that a problem. I'm sure, though, that it would do me good to know more than I do, so I may well go where you're steering me. Thanks for the tip.

Making Photos said...

hanks for stopping by. As you can see, I like the natural light as well. I'm not shooting many portraits and when I do I try to use natural light as well. But the Strobist does have some really good ideas and for what he does, artificial light becomes a necessity. I really like the way he shares his knowledge. Again, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate it.