Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Austin

This week I’m in Austin listening and learning from some photographers that have it together and don’t take themselves too seriously. They are willing to share their insight into the business end of the portrait and wedding markets. And while it’s unlikely I’ll ever do another wedding, listening to their philosophy on creativity and the approach to showing what you can do creatively has, so far, been very beneficial.

This workshop was a gift from my lovely wife and daughter for my birthday. I had to wait a bit to get the gift but it’s been worth the wait.

One of the points that really stuck with me today was to show what you can do with your photographic work. The point was made that showing a wide range of capability will allow people to go outside their own box of thinking and be much more open doing something that May not actually be in their comfort level. In other words, show what you are capable of and people will come.

Some of the workshop, while intended for wedding shooters, will spill over to the work I actually do. These images are from a short walk around at dusk before heading back to the room to do some catch up work and dinner. I’m not sure they work but I wanted to play and play I did. It goes back to what I wanted to do when I started this blog in the first place.

There were birds everywhere when I started my walk. It was crazy and something I wish I had been better prepared for. I converted this image in DPP to a slight sepia tone and thought it might work better. I went back and forth on the color versus toned black and white. I stuck with the B&W because I’m not sure the photo works at all.

The colors in downtown Austin are pretty phenomenal. It’s an eclectic mix of cultures and sub-cultures, music and art. I’ll try more later.

No comments: