Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Santa Barbara

I love to experiment and digital allows me to do so. On a recent trip up to Santa Barbara I tried some different stuff. Some of it worked and some of it didn’t.

These images are inspired by Aaron Hueys images from the seat of his VW van while on various trips out west. I’m not sure it worked but it was fun trying and seeing what I could come up with. I’ve been wanting to do something like this for a while but just hadn’t had the opportunity. Does it work or is it just another set of cliche images populating the net. I still don’t know but for the time being I seem to like them. Together they seem to work but separately probably not.

I did try some other images inspired by Sam Abell’s image of pears in his window sill while on a trip through Russia. They definitely didn’t work. The tuxedo image is inspired by some images from photographers shooting a lot of night images in Japan and Hong Kong. Again, I’m not sure if it worked and it certainly doesn’t measure up but I see some prospects there and some potential.

This image is being put up because I enjoy Prine’s music immensely. We didn’t get to see him that night because of other plans but it was nice to see that he is out and making music. He doesn’t tour much these days but he was in San Francisco, LA and Santa Barbara the last week of October. Bummer.

Click on the flickr badge on the right to see more images.

No comments: