Saturday, March 17, 2007

Dana Point Light

I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately to the sum of my photography. Two long plane rides will provide the time to reflect. Especially back in coach with no power and no room to open a laptop.

I see no theme and wonder if, at my age, I’ll ever have a body of work that provides something lasting. In the March 2007 issue of Black & White Photography, Duncan Hewitt writes about Lu Nan, a Chinese photographer that has solely been focused on black and white photography for 15 years. His work, and his life, are dedicated to the pursuit of a body of work that stretches across time and is interconnected. His work is focused on spirituality according to the article.

Living in China, it’s been difficult to get his work seen and he has tackled some difficult subjects. The images in the magazine were wonderful but it’s the underlying theme of spirituality throughout his projects that is really interesting. It ties in well to the amount of sacrifice he is willing to make.

What I find fascinating is the willingness to sacrifice so much to make the images. It seems to me that these individuals are rare. I’m certainly not one of them. But I wish I’d paid more attention throughout the years to photography and built up a body of work. I’ve always wanted to tell stories. I don’t know if it’s the body of thematic work I want or the work to be about the stories I’ve wanted to tell.

I couldn't find a link to Nan's work in the limited time I had to search. If you find a link let me know.

No comments: