Thursday, April 12, 2007

I take a lot of notes and have far too many notebooks laying in cluttered piles with little to no visible organization. Somehow I know what’s in them and where to look for stuff. One of the notebooks has a few ideas for photo sessions and in a recent perusal of this particular notebook I remembered an article I saw years ago.

I don’t recall the photographers name but after the passing of his mother he documented what the house she lived in looked like. It’s struck me over the years that we look too often for the exceptional and ignore the mundane. I’m sure there are reasons behind this, ones that make absolute sense. But yesterday I needed a break and picked up the camera and I really just wanted to shoot something in the early afternoon light that always looks nice in the house. I also wanted to experiment with Kodak’s BW400CN, find a place that could develop it and scan the images that would allow, at a minimum, posting.


There was other inspiration from an article I read on the Leica eNewsletter about a photographer that went to Russia and documented a place while visiting with a friend. So using those two excuses to shoot I set out to document the life of a house in 30 minutes or so. Here are a couple of results.

Everyday life can be mundane but looking at it closer yesterday I saw that it really wasn’t. A pair of shoes next to a purse reminded me of a girl who will all to soon be moving on and finding her own way. There were the candles sitting on the table waiting for the warmth of human companionship. A notebook from an often remembered brother and uncle taken to soon and missed daily. An inspirational posting hung over a door as a reminder and a good luck Irish Cross hung over a door for good luck for those that pass under it.


Everyday stuff. Good photography? I don’t know but as with a lot of things I don’t care. It matters to me and it might matter to those close to me or it might resonate with someone across the world. This is photography that appeals to me, matters to me and in the long run what I really love to do. It varies from day to day, subject to subject, medium to medium. It probably always will. I may never make a living from photography but I will always get enjoyment out of it and that is what matters the most to me in the first place.

No comments: