Thursday, May 10, 2007

Documentary Workshop

As part of the Palm Springs Photo Festival I was fortunate to attend Colin Finlay’s Documentary Workshop. Over the next few days I’ll be posting images from the workshop, explaining a bit about the images and in general reporting on the workshop. Bear with me next week as I head to the UK and may not be able to get work up as quickly.

I shot both digital and film the first day but found myself too distracted with the switch. On the second day at the Palm Springs Fire Department HQ I only shot digital and on the third day I only shot film. I didn’t regret not having the film camera at the fire station but I did have second thoughts on the third day. I’ll leave that until I get the film back. It’ll probably take a couple of weeks to get those images online but I am looking forward to those images in particular. Once I get the images back I’m sure I’ll be happy I concentrated on B&W film with one color roll thrown in for good measure.

2 comments:

Lou Desiderio said...

Colin Finlay has been a very close friend for many years. Last fall I had the priviledge of traveling with Colin and Julieanne Kost from Adobe when they toured photo schools around the country promoting Adobe's new Photoshop Lightroom. Colin is probably the most inspirational speaker I have ever heard and his work is simply stunning. And although I sat through 25 of his presentations over the course of 3 months, they were all unique in their own distinctive way. Those who were fortunate enough to listen to Colin speak about his images and about photography during the Palm Springs Photo Workshops will undoubtedly consider themselves fortunate too. His passion and love of photogrpahy is contagious. Watching Michael Jorddon play basketball inspired kids to run outside and play basketball "like Mike." No doubt Colin will have the same effect on us as photographers.

Making Photos said...

Lou,

Thanks for stopping by. You have summed up my thoughts very well. Colin said a lot without speaking a lot of words.

Larry