Monday, May 28, 2007

"Rocky Horror" Lives

I spent a week in Cambridge on business recently. As it turned out I had a Saturday night stay over rate that prevented me form coming early even though the meetings were completed. So I spent a day roaming the village of 100,000 people carrying the camera and seeing what I could see.

I’ve been to Cambridge several times but I rarely get a chance to see outside the area between my hotel and office. This free day let me get outside the normal areas and see something of the town. It was enjoyable and it makes me wish we lived in a more pedestrian friendly city. I really enjoyed relaxing by sitting in the cafe’s and watching the people go about their Saturday chores.

On my way back to the hotel later in the evening I passed the Corn Exchange which is an older building that houses a theater. As I walked up the block, I noticed a large crowd and decided to check it out. There were several scantily clad hairy men milling about and it took me a moment to realize what was going on. Apparently the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” lives.

There was a line of photographers against the wall opposite of the main entrance. I only had the 50mm with me (only lens for this particular camera) so I couldn’t stay there and get any decent images. So I just jumped into the fray. I hope I didn’t piss anyone off but the “cast” seemed to enjoy it so I stuck around. I got a few images I like and this is one of them. This guys buddy was posing with a couple of the characters from the film. He asked me after he shot this if I got his best side. He was rather funny and seemed to enjoy the fact that he was the subject instead of the others.

It took me a little while to get comfortable getting as close as I needed but I eventually did and the few images I like are better for it. Now I need to get a 35mm and get even closer.

No comments: