Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Palm Springs FD Training

Most of this year I've spent shooting film but I have broken out the digital from time to time. The problem has been I just didn't want to go through the process of processing the images in either Lightroom or Aperture. Work has been hectic and a royal pain in the butt lately and I needed some dead time tonight and got bored with the football game. So I fired up the computer and started going through old images I haven't done anything with. I started playing with Lightroom and some of the processing capabilities of the porgram and then went into Photoshop to see what I could do.

This is an image I made while at the Palm Springs Photo Festival earlier this year. It was hotter than hades and this guy was training; something new guys do everyday they are on duty for an entire year. He had just finished hauling a 50 foot hose several times to get water on a specific area designated by his trainer. The turn out gear weighs something like 80 pounds, and I don't know how much the hose weighs, but he was physically drained afterwards and this is where I caught him. He told me he had already drank about 3 gallons of water that morning.

I still have a ton of film to scan, but with Thanksgiving coming up and guests coming over, I don't want to set up the scanning station. It will most likely be a marathon scanning effort concluded towards the end of the year as my travel dies down. I've got one more trip to the UK planned for the year and then I'm done until the second week of January.

No comments: