Saturday, December 22, 2007

Airport

I spend too much time in airports. This year, on a variety of airlines, I traveled about 130,000 miles. There were 8 trips to the UK, countless trips up to the Bay Area, a couple to Idaho and several to Seattle. I know some people that travel more than that but I don't know how they do it.

I received Gary Winograd's book “Arrivals & Departures” this year as a gift, and considering how much time I spend in airports, I was inspired to try it myself. His airport photographs span a 25 year period. I've got a long way to go, and frankly, will never reach that milestone. But what I did gather from looking at the Winograph monograph was that he photographed everything. I read somewhere that he had over 6000 rolls of film undeveloped at his death in 1984. He was famous for photographing everything, and yet, once he exposed the film it seems that he would wait a year to view the images. I wait but it's mostly a matter of time and convenience for me.

Anyway, this is one of the few images I like. As a standalone image it means little but over time it might fit into a cohesive body of work. Who knows?

No comments: