Sunday, December 30, 2007

Happy New Year

The new year is upon us. I've heard many times that as you get older the years pass much more quickly. This is the year for me that I really believe this to be true. It's been a hectic year from a job standpoint and from a photography standpoint I think it's been pretty hectic as well.

I moved much more towards film this year and found photography enjoyable again. Some of my all time favorite images were made this year and I really believe it's because I approached photography so differently. I spent a lot less time in front of the computer. I really enjoyed picking up the film from the lab and enjoyed exploring new cameras and finding the fun again.

This year I also found a lot of sites that I enjoy going to on a regular basis. There are those that I am sure many have already heard about like Chase Jarvis, 2point8 and Joe Riefer - Words. I've either highlighted these before or linked to them in some fashion. But there are a few I want to highlight going into the new year.

The first one is Scott Dickerson out of Alaska. He shoots in some crazy conditions and surfs in the winter swell that evidently hits the Alaskan coast. Who knew! Check out his site for some enjoyable images of the Alaskan life.

I love to see images from around the world. Tewfic El-Sawy runs The Travel Photographer blog. He finds new and wonderful photojournalism images along with travel photographers from around the world. He is doing such a service to the community in posting these sites and I can't begin to imagine how I would find these sites without this blog.

Jeff Singer is a photographer in San Francisco. I love his images and his writing. It's definitely worth checking out.

I doubt if there is anyone that reads this blog (other than family) that hasn't heard about the Strobist. This guy has taken the lighting with flash thing to the masses and has probably single handily helped to improve the quality of images on flickr. If you haven't checked him out, and you want to learn how to use strobes off camera, it's well worth the read of his Lighting 101 course.

And finally I'd like to point you to David Tejada. He's a photographer out in Colorado that puts videos together to show what it's like on his shoots. I'm sure it's very time consuming and certainly a time sink. But, in the spirit of Chase Jarvis and the Strobist, he shares his knowledge willingly with the community.

To everyone that reads this blog; Thank You for coming by this year. It's very much appreciated and I hope you come back in 2008. Have a Happy and Safe New Year!

1 comment:

garrison beau scott said...

really...really...like this shot. there's such a great feel and aura to it. very dream like and ethereal. just outstanding.