Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Seattle

Last week saw me in Boise and Seattle traveling to meet customers and kick off plans for the new year. As part of my goals this year I plan to just shoot, not be encumbered with particular ideas on what I'll shoot and to see what I can make out of what I end up with. To do that I made a promise to myself that the camera will go with me on my business trips.

So, I took 3 rolls of Fuji 400X and 3 rolls of Ilford HP5. The goal was to use up all 6 rolls of film with no limitations. I failed miserably. I just couldn't do it. No matter what I did during this trip I just couldn't see images and being in work mode while traveling probably didn't help. I did shoot some stuff and I have a couple of images I like that will eventually make their way here, but I'm not wired to shoot that way and I think it added a new set of pressures on me that affected my ability to see.

What I did find was that when I slowed down I was able to see some things that might prove interesting if I just shoot it all the way through. So I did. I got the film back just before I left for this trip and I went through some of it last night and there were a couple of surprises which generated ideas for projects. I'll see where it goes but I think I'll end up with something by December I'll be proud of. As noted in my last post I just need to follow through and shoot.

This is an image from a trip to Seattle several years ago. I don't own the Mamiya 7 it was made with any longer and boy do I miss that camera and the huge negatives. And like the camera this building no longer exists. It's been transformed into a Starbuck's (I think) or it's been torn down. I couldn't really tell. It's located close the to REI I like to go to and provides a way for me to get to the waterfront. It's a shame it's gone but I now have an image of Seattle that no longer exists. Is that cool or sad? Ask me in 50 years.

No comments: