Monday, March 17, 2008

Motel View

These two images are of the same motel room in Seattle from a trip at the end of January. I usually take the camera with me and it's one of the reasons I bought the Leica. My digital is just too big to fit in the briefcase and schlepp through the airports. As a result, I wasn't carrying a camera and making no images for months at a time.

Business trips, despite thoughts to the contrary, are anything but glamorous. They usually involve long days with little time for photography. Throw in the fact that a lot of times I'm in areas I don't know and it considerably complicates the process. But I want to make images so what to do.

It struck me this year, as I spent every week for the first two months on the road, that a lot of the places I go to are very similar. The hotels look the same as do the airports. The strip malls are basically the same with the store fronts being different but the goods very similar. So I started shooting the airports, hotels and motels of the areas I visit. In scanning the images over the last few days I'm noticing a pattern and working to establish more of a theme to what I'm doing. At the end of the year I plan to put this stuff together and start looking for critiques. I'll go to people I trust and then contact photographers I've either met through this blog or other sites where I respect their work. We'll see how it goes. It's the closest thing to a long-term project I've ever done. I'm planning on shooting color an black and white. I'm not sure that's the best idea for consistency but it's an experiment and I want to see if I can pull something off.

1 comment:

jordan said...

i really like the bottom image