Tuesday, November 25, 2008

M.I.L.K.

For the first time, I’ve entered 5 of my images to a photography competition. It’s called, Fresh M.I.L.K.: Friends, Families, Lovers & Laughter and it’s being held this year to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the first MILK competition. In 1999 it drew some 40,000 entries representing 164 countries and I expect this years competition will draw more than I can even imagine. Click on the link above and you can get more details, but what drew me to it was that, unlike so many competitions, it doesn’t look to take all of your rights away with the submissions. It’s also ultimately going to be judged by Elliot Erwitt, a photographer I’ve always enjoyed. The theme was also compelling and something near and dear to my heart.

I submitted one of the images above and thought combining the three in a triptych would work but I’m not sure it’s the case. In total I think I will submit 10 images from the last several years of my family collection. It’s time like this I want to document them because I think it’s when we are really thoughtful of what is meaningful it always comes back to family. The images I submitted have personal meaning to me and ones that I hope will resonate with others as well.

No comments: