Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Updates

For the last several weeks I’ve been experimenting with Diafine and various film stock. I’ve also been perfecting my developing skills after years of digital and sending out to labs. It’s been a challenging few weeks and I’ve made more than my fair share of mistakes. In addition to that I’ve been trying to familiarize myself with the Chamonix and that’s proven to be a lot of fun if not time consuming. I’m not a slow, contemplative guy and that set of traits is most certainly needed in dealing with the learning curve associated with large format.

But I seem to finally have my head wrapped around the process and all of the associated work that goes with the nits and nats of large format photography. I’ve loaded and unloaded film, developed some 4x5 sheets with no real issues, and done so with my little system that allows almost immediate feedback. Thanks to Diafine, and my garage temperatures, I can pretty much soup up film at will and when time permits. This is the first sheet of film I’ve been willing to show.

I wanted to do something for Veteran’s Day this year but I just couldn’t get to a place and do anything special. So I decided to try something at the house. This is the flag from Diane’s brother, a Vietnam Era veteran that’s no longer with us. It sits in Jordan’s room and serves as reminder of the sacrifices attached with military service both past and present. I come from a long line of veterans and proud to say so. This is a little late for the actual holiday but it’s still appropriate given the current world situation.

No comments: