Saturday, February 28, 2009

Trying, Trying, Trying

I learned something about my photography this morning during a little jaunt out to Joshua Tree. I’m reasonably proficient with the Leica. I’m getting to a point where the Hasselblad and I are getting along. But I wholeheartedly suck with the Chamonix.

It’s actually not surprising considering I’ve probably put 15 hours or so in actual time with the Chamonix. The Leica, on the other hand, sees far more usage and I’ve been shooting 35mm since I was in 7th grade. The Hasselblad is a little more work and it makes me think that I should have stuck with the Mamiya RZ 67. But it needed to go, and all I can say is good riddance, because getting rid of it actually brought me to this point in my photography.

The Chamonix is just a different beast all together. I have to slow down - not my strong point - and I have to work from a fixed point. And I think that’s the hardest thing for me. Trying to see my image has always been difficult for me. I’ve never been very good at pre-visualization. It just doesn’t work for me and my style of photography.

I knew this going into LF after taking a class with Michael E. Gordon prior to investing in the camera. But I’ve not been able to sufficiently shoot enough to see and find the shot. I’ve got some darkroom work to complete after my trip to China and Japan and we’ll see if anything stands out.

I did develop a couple of images from last weekend but I’m not happy with them. Too many mistakes and not enough real vision. I did figure out one of my issues with the Fuji QL holder though. I wasn’t getting the film packet seated after exposing. One problem worked through and solved.

Her is another image from a recent trip up to Seattle. I think it will eventually work out that I have enough stuff I like from hotels to put a small body of work together I’m proud of.

No comments: