Tuesday, June 23, 2009

February 19, 1928 ~ June 22, 2009

The last few days have been some of the most difficult days of my life.

On June 22nd, we lost a lovely, beautiful, loving and simply amazing woman. Larene Pace, mother to Diane, grandmother to Jordan and mother-in-law to me, passed away and left this world with a void not to be replaced.

I’ve written this post in my head for days now, and as always, what comes out on paper is something less than I would want it to be. But to say that Larene had an impact on my life would be a disservice to the memory of a wonderful and beautiful person. In listening to the stories of the people that knew her well, and those who only knew her briefly, it’s immediately apparent that her presence made everyone better and that everyone was better off for meeting her.

I’ve never been more profoundly sad than I am today. I can’t imagine what we’ll do without her and what our lives will be as we move into the future. It’s the little things I think about, the moments taken for granted that hit me without warning when the vacant spot becomes a gaping hole.

I thought the words would flow for me as I sat down to write this post. But the truth is, that nothing I can say will remotely begin to convey what I feel, what we’ve lost and what Larene meant to all of us. As much as I want too I just can’t seem to get the words to come. The sadness is overwhelming, the emptiness never ending and the grief devastating. The world is a sadder place today without Larene here but we are all better off for having her in our lives and I’m grateful for my time with her.

5 comments:

Diane said...

Simply...wow. Your words so beautifully express your true feelings and the emotion of this time. They express my feelings as well.

She loved you beyond words. I know you two shared such a special bond. Many may not even know, but in our times alone with her, it was so evident and private. She loved joking with you, loved making you laugh, and loved what a great father you are to Jordan. She told me when we got married that she knew Jordan and I would always be okay.

Thank for taking such good care of her. Thank you for always taking such good care of us, especially now at this most impossible time.

I love you so, so much.

SmogRanch said...

Keep writing. Doesn't have to be perfect.

MichaelGordon said...

My sincere condolences to you and Diane, Larry. This stuff is never easy. Take care.

Bob Towery said...

When one so special is taken away, the loss feels so much more intense. With some time though, you can appreciate what it was be part of an important life. One that mattered. We will all go, but a few will be remembered. That's what you are doing for her. Take care of yourself now, she would want you to.

Bob Smith said...

.