Monday, July 20, 2009

Pursuit

Thank you to all of you that have taken the time to comment here on the blog or send private emails. They are greatly appreciated.

Time has a way of passing all too quickly. What seems important today is decidedly not so tomorrow. And what seems inconsequential at the present time has a way of indelibly making it’s presence known somewhere down the road and becoming very meaningful at a most unexpected time.

Photography for me has always been important but it has usually taken a less than meaningful space in my life. It’s always present but somehow it never really gets to the level I want it to be. It certainly has it’s moments but a sustainable, meaningful existence has proven to be slightly out of grasp. But occasionally I get the time, and an image, that lets me think that I might just be onto something. This is one of them.

My favorite blogger, Dan Milnor, would call this an “Urban Abstract Moment.” And in this case it would be true. It is urban. And abstract. And a moment. I like it and I hope that it just might not quite qualify under his definition. It does include people and the two umbrellas make the image for me personally.

I’ve been trying to get away from where a lot of my stuff has been going lately. Even before I read his post I knew my images were a lot like what he refers to in this post. I needed more people, more interaction, more fluidity. But this is a huge and difficult step for me. It’s scary, difficult and my recent attempts have been abject failures. I expect that to be the case over the coming months.

But I have to do it. It’s where the passion lies for me in photography and where I’ll enjoy it the most. It’s also what will allow it to come to the forefront more often and become a sustained, meaningful pursuit for me personally. And while I’ve mostly put up stuff on this blog that I’m happy with, and in some cases, downright proud of, I will most likely put up some of the abject failures as well. Maybe I’ll get some constructive criticism… maybe not. Regardless, I tend to photograph for myself anyway even if I constantly struggle with where it’s going. But if I’m not consistently making images then I’m not doing what I just absolutely love to do. And if I’m not doing that then what’s the point.

P.S. I know this is similar to another image but I ultimately liked this one much better once it was scanned and printed.

2 comments:

bawgaj said...

;)))

Anonymous said...

Nope. Doesn't qualify.
First. You shot black and white, it has to be color.
Second. you shot 35mm. It has to be medium, large or HUGE digital file.
Three, you have people. The "new" documentarian avoids people at all costs. Model releases, interaction, take too much time.
And last, your image has a point of view. The "urban abstract moment" images of the "new" documentary are made to look like there is no point of view. You have too much information and too many layers.
Dumb it down dude, and you'll be on your way. Good luck. Godspeed.

SMOGRANCH